The State of Wisconsin governs how vehicles may be repossessed. The creditor can either obtain a court order requiring the return of the vehicle, or they can obtain the vehicle via “self-help” methods. To repossess a vehicle via “self-help” they must:

1. provide a written notice of your right to cure.
2. not breach the peace when repossessing the vehicle.

A breach of the peace occurs when you protest the taking (even if you just calmly state “don’t take my vehicle”) and the vehicle is taken over your protest.
If this has happened to you, we would love to talk with you to see if you have a basis for a lawsuit against the creditor or repossession agent.